Foster and adoptive families are the backbone of our program, helping day after day to bring love, security and a positive future to children and youths. We—and society—can never thank them enough for what they do!
Because our families are so important, we offer a variety of resources to them, ranging from our comprehensive initial training program and supportive, compassionate case management to continuing assistance, post-placement support and even, at times, lifelong friendships.
In addition to services provided by your case manager, our continuing support includes:
- A range of post-permanency services
- Secure, private Facebook groups that create communities for our resource families
- Unique programs such as our sibling training program, which helps to integrate birth children into the foster care or adoption process
- Our Crossroads group program, which helps youths referred by county children and youth agencies and living in an out-of-home placement such as foster care, understand and adapt to their situation
- Ready answers to your questions
As noted elsewhere on our site, we host support groups for resource families as a way of helping to ensure positive outcomes. At the same time, we understand people’s schedules may not always permit attendance at an on-site support group. We also know that people frequently turn to social media for information or support.
For that reason, Diakon Adoption & Foster Care hosts various subscriber-only Facebook groups for resource families so that family members can privately share concerns, seek advice or other support and, in general, form a helpful community.
Please contact your case manager for information on how to subscribe to the group in your region.
As a Diakon resource parent, you may also find the link below helpful.
Pennsylvania Adoption Exchange
The primary website for SWAN, Pennsylvania's Statewide Adoption & Permanency Network (which Diakon, separately, administers for the Commonwealth). One portion of its website, found at www.adoptpakids.org, provides a summary of post-adoption services:
- Post-Permanency Services - an overview of support focused on a postive lifelong experience