The Lutheran Home at Topton
Founded in 1896, The Lutheran Home at Topton originated as The Lutheran Orphans’ Home, a ministry established to provide care and accommodations for orphaned children. The home was built on a hill overlooking the rolling hills and community of Topton in northeastern Berks County, Pa.
As changes in society reduced the number of orphans, the home began reaching out to children in their own homes and to other segments of the population. The Annie Lowry building on the Topton campus, for example, was renovated into an infirmary for the elderly in the early 1940’s. Thus began a long history of service to older persons as well as children. Today, the Topton campus includes a complete range of retirement facilities and services.
Also during this period, The Lutheran Home at Topton added other residential facilities and expanded congregationally and community based services to aid individuals, children, families, and older persons. Examples include Family Life Services, Adoption Services, Volunteer Home Care, Luther Crest retirement village in Allentown, Pa., and Luther Ridge at Seiders Hill near Pottsville, Pa.
In 1997, The Lutheran Home at Topton affiliated with Lutheran Welfare Service of Northeastern Pennsylvania, Hazleton, to create Lutheran Services Northeast. Shortly thereafter, LSN completed an additional affiliation with Visiting Nurses Association of the Lehigh Valley to form Visiting Nurses Northeast. Because of significant changes in the home health care field, VNN became a part of the Sacred Heart Health System in Allentown in early 2000. On January 1, 2000, Lutheran Services Northeast affiliated with Tressler Lutheran Services to create Diakon Lutheran Social Ministries.