The main purpose of a local Workforce Advisory Board is to strengthen the career and technical education program of Diakon Center Point. The advisory board provides valuable advice to the program; plans, implements or supports activities to aid the program; and helps to promote the program in the community. The Diakon Workforce Advisory Board will be a vital link between the career and technical education program and business and industry in Adams, Cumberland, Franklin, and Perry Counties.
The goals of the Diakon Workforce Advisory Board are to:
- Assist in assuring the relevance of the career and technical education programs help to create a partnership between the Diakon Center Point program and the community.
- Increase public awareness of the program and it’s goals to create potential employment opportunities for students.
- Provide knowledge and perspectives from the local business community which will be invaluable to the career and technical education program.
- Assist in identifying needs, determining priorities, and reviewing and evaluating programs.
- Create a Board with committee members representing business, industry, labor, public sector, community, and the general public to bring a unique perspective to Diakon’s programs.
The objectives for assisting students will be to:
- Identify the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary to compete in the job market.
- Prepare students for real world employment opportunities including making sure they have an appropriate resume and conducting mock interviews with students.
- Provide work-based learning opportunities to assist in the transition from school to work.
- Assist program graduates in securing jobs.