Health & Wellness
Important April 2021 Update: Select Health & Wellness programs are currently operating. For more information, please call us at (570) 624-3017.
Since 1996, Diakon’s Health & Wellness Program has been helping to improve the health and well-being of people 60 and older through chronic-disease self-management programs, fall-prevention workshops, continuing exercise classes for people of all fitness levels, walking clubs and much more!
- People of all fitness levels are invited to join our on-going exercise programs. Our motto is fun, fitness and fellowship!
We host evidence-based programs throughout the year at various community locations:
- Healthy Steps for Older Adults, designed by the University of California at Berkley for the Pennsylvania Department of Aging and presented by certified instructors, is designed to reduce your risk of falling through a personal risk assessment, home safety checklist, and exercise for strength and balance.
- Healthy Steps in Motion, taught by certified instructors, is a fall-prevention exercise program that will build strength, improve balance and increase flexibility.
- Living a Healthy Life, originally designed by Stanford University and presented by certified instructors, works with people with chronic conditions, their families and caregivers to reduce days in the hospital and increase days of “feeling good” through small lifestyle changes and positive self-management techniques.
- Healthier Living with Diabetes, originally developed by Stanford University, introduces skills to better manage the day-to-day symptoms of Type II diabetes, such as low and high blood sugar, tiredness, pain and emotional issues. The program is led by certified instructors.
- Walk With Ease, developed by the Arthritis Foundation, is a walking program designed to improve walking pace, balance, strength and flexibility in a safe manner. It can aid in reducing the pain and discomfort of arthritis.
Presentations and Blood Pressure Checks
- Based on the idea that knowledge is power, the Health & Wellness Program hosts educational presentations by guest speakers and regularly scheduled blood-pressure checks at the Diakon-sponsored senior community centers in Tremont, Pottsville, Shenandoah, Mahanoy City and Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania.
Through our Health & Wellness Program, we want you to have fun, be active—and live a healthy life!
“Thank you for doing this class! It motivated me to have a healthy lifestyle. Every session was informative and I looked forward to learning what we would discuss next.”—Judy Bush, Living a Healthy Life participant
The Health & Wellness Program is operated under contract with the Schuylkill County Office of Senior Services with funding from the Pennsylvania Department of Aging.
Health & Wellness
Diakon Community Services
118 South Centre Street, Pottsville, PA 17901
Contact: Jenny Wagner | Phone: (570) 624-3017 | Toll-free: 1-800-621-6325